Dear Karma Community,
I hope this message finds each of you in good health and good spirits amidst these unprecedented times. The board of directors wishes to sincerely thank you for your continued displays of support, and for sharing your ideas and feedback. Your notes of thanks to staff, offers to deliver groceries to our vulnerable seniors and members in quarantine, and so much more, have been beautiful reminders of how special our Karma community is, and I’m immensely grateful to be part of it.
To our staff — thank you! We recognize the extraordinary efforts you are making to keep Karma operational, and we hope that we are doing our part in helping you feel safe each time you come to work.
The board of directors met last night and reviewed our COVID protocols and response, and we want to share a few reminders and updates.
We know that many of you are eager to help the co-op, and member labour has been temporarily paused. We have created a task force to review the needs of the co-op throughout COVID, and we hope to have member labour creatively redeployed in June. Once the task force has had the opportunity to review our member labour system, members will have the option to take on member labour or move to percentage mark-up or flat fee.
The board of directors, in cooperation with our newly formed Marketing & Communications Committee and the Food Issues Committee, are seeking member input to help update co-op policies, and create a vision for the future of our store. We hope that each of you will take time to provide us with feedback so that we can adapt and improve for you. Please watch for an email with the survey later this month.
Finally, a quick update on the store’s COVID-19 protocols.Here is what we are doing for you:
- Sanitizing the check out between each transaction
- Washing scoops after each use so that we can continue to offer dry bulk
- Cleaning all high-use surfaces frequently, including door handles, scales, bulk feed handles, registers, etc
- Vulnerable shoppers’ hour at the start of each day for seniors and immunocompromised members, 11 am to noon
- Phone/E-mail orders for members who are not able to come into the store
We are asking you to:
- Wash your hands before entering the store
- Practice physical distancing while in the store
- Wear a mask to reduce the risk of unknowingly transmitting the virus to anyone in our small community
Thank you for your continued support of Karma, and we look forward to meeting or speaking with you soon.
Kristy van Beek, Karma President